Monday, August 9, 2010

Career Is Not The Same As Ambition.


Okay, I really needed to clarify this before I’m ‘skinned’ alive. Like I have a choice. Dull!!!!! My blog address is careerandambition.blogspot.com.(wink wink).

Career means ‘an occupation undertaken for a significant period of a person’s life and with opportunities for progress’. It describes a situation of working permanently in or committed to a particular profession. I guess a typical example in the Ghanaian context would popularly be a regular ‘8am-5pm Monday to Friday’ job such as a banker.  

However, you’ve got ambition when you have a strong desire to do or to achieve something, typically requiring determination and hardwork. Its the desire and determination to achieve success.

Ambition is not necessarily a chosen career path although it is in some instances. 
Like someone could have an ambition to be a banker and his chosen career path would also probably be banking. For others, career and ambition are totally different ball games.  

Nevertheless, you need to have ambition in order to be successful in your career. Career without ambition is just sheer mediocrity. 

Bottom line: Whether it’s career or ambition, its still who you wanna be. So go on and be.

1 comment:

  1. Spot on! "Career without ambition is just sheer mediocrity". One major thing i have realise in regards to achieving my ambitions is doing a good work on a job alone wont be enough to get me to my destination, at least not in the time frame i desire. The little things that set me apart from the others matters most.In order for one to achieve success in their career you really need to have the determination and drive to push yourself forward and to overcome any obstacles that present themselves. One thing i was always ponder about is would 'Kwadwo leave a comfortable, well-paid career to follow my heart aka my childhood dreams?' hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete